Sunday, August 8, 2010

Catching Up

Okay, it’s been a while since I’ve last written. A lot has happened, so here we go:


My boys have been great. Alvin is doing well at home with potty training, but he’s not doing well at school with it. I don’t have a clue what the problem is. Marcus is the cutest thing ever – next to his brother. He is clearly using signals to tell us what he wants, but he just refuses to talk. He does say up and he tries to say shoe and choo-choo. But that’s about it.

Job hunting still sucks. I went on an interview last week and the hours were long and included weekends. The job itself wasn’t bad, but I can’t work long hours with my 2 little ones and I definitely won’t work weekends when that would be my boys only full days to be with me. So that one went out the window…not to mention one of the positions was commission only and the other was only 55-75k and the 75k was a stretch. So the pay was not up to par with me having additional daycare costs.

Business-wise, things were scarce. I had no orders for the month of August and then all of a sudden I had 2 birthday requests: one for a cake and one for cookies. The cake was a red velvet cake and the cookies were a dozen birthday cake cookies. Everything looked beautiful if I do say so myself. However, the cookies were for a relative for Saturday and the person just decided to not pick them up. After multiple attempts to contact them, they were supposed to get back to me on Sunday. Well it’s Sunday night and I have not heard a thing. They even asked how long would the cookies stay fresh, and would they last a week…why would I want to keep someone’s birthday cookies in my house for a week????? Now I have been very trusting of everyone and not have asked for any payments up front, but after being burned on ordering music cookies cutters and the order was all of a sudden dropped and then me making these cookies and they are now not being picked up I am re-thinking about telling everyone, no payment, no baking. Not of course for those who have come through, but definitely for everyone else. I don’t understand what people don’t get about me not working and that this is a business. I have to spend my money up front and wait to get that money back. That up-front money is money that goes into my children’s mouth. Why do people think that it’s okay to screw people over and have the nerve to think I will get over it??? I didn’t and I won’t get over it. Don’t get it twisted.

My children and I have been very tired yesterday and today. I was in bed last night at 9am and still took an hour nap this afternoon and could have slept longer. It’s 11:00 now, so I am going to end here and get some sleep.

Have a great night! I hope I will too!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Thyjuan, I have made mistakes in not charging money up front, too. Part of my realization was people take their money very seriously, if I am not asking for it for a service, well...they just don't seem to take me seriously, either.
    What I did was charge a non refundable deposit on my services-The time/storage, etc. I set aside to prepare is charged whether they changed their mind or not. People thought of me differently after that because I never got cancellations once I did this.
    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete