Saturday, July 3, 2010

In The Beginning

I have been thinking of creating a blog for a while now.  The problem has been that I just never had the time to sit down and create one.  As my blog name indicates, I am a very busy mom.

I am a mother of 2 beautiful boys ages just turned 3, and 16 months. I was a marketing manager for 15 years until I was laid off in 2009, 1 week after having my second son (talk about a reason to have post partum depression!). After a year of job searching with a newborn at home and a toddler in daycare, I decided to stop waiting for a job and to go out into the world and make things happen for myself. I started taking classes in January of 2010 at our local community college taking up Early Childhood Education so that I could possibly open up my own daycare and never have to worry about being laid off ever again. During the semester, very good friends of mine needed marketing help so I decided to become a freelance marketing manager. This idea quickly turned into me launching my own marketing business. I love planning events so I decided to also launch an event planning business...my thought was to go through all of the red tape and paperwork at the same time and just get it over with.

So here I am near midterm time launching 2 businesses. As I was getting my paperwork notarized, I was asked what my event planning business did. I explained and on the spot, I had a client. I didn't even have a legal name and I already have a client! And she wanted cupcakes with a Yo Gabba Gabba theme. Well, I couldn't pass that up as my two boys are into that show. The paperwork was processed, I had two legal businesses and I planned my first official party and actually created customized cupcakes with the faces of the 5 Yo Gabba Gabba characters. They were a huge hit. I shared the photos with friends and that turned into additional orders for customized cupcakes!

As my school semester ended, I was exhausted from studying for three classes and trying to take care of a one year old and trying to find a job and trying to run a household and still having a toddler home when school it out and trying to get marketing done for my two clients and trying to schedule and execute cupcake orders.

As soon as classes ended, I decided to take a cake decorating class to learn tips on how to work with fondant for a Ben 10 cupcake order. It was a great class and I decided to take the other two Wilton classes to let me have a moment to do something I enjoy while I learn the tools of the trade of working with cakes and cupcakes.

Somehow due to my Facebook postings of my cupcakes, my event planning business took a left turn into a cupcake decorating business and I then stumbled into the sugar cookie world. I joined a cookie forum of professional cookie decorators from all over the world and I became extremely excited about this new venture. I created cupcakes with cookie stars for my son's birthday party and after posting those photos, my cookie business picked up.

So I am now a mother of two boys who is in the last month of cake decorating classes who has a marketing business and an event planning, cupcake & cookie decorating business who is still job searching and about to be enrolled for the fall semester of school. Now you know why I call myself The Very Busy Mom.

I hope you enjoy my posts and thank you for joining me on the journey of my very busy life!


2 comments:

  1. Busy indeed!! I love the blog, so glad you finally started. Can't wait to keep up with you on this journey :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! Thank you Courtney! Love ya babe!!!!!

    ReplyDelete