Saturday, July 24, 2010

One Hell Of A Week

The best laid out plans can go up in ruins when your child becomes sick...


I was planning on starting to bake my 125 cookie order when at 10am there was a call from my son’s school that he had a fever. So I picked him up and brought him to the doctor and they said he had a cold. So I had to stay up until 2am baking.

I was exhausted on Tuesday because my little ones get up at 6am. Thank goodness I had my girlfriends daughter to help me the next day with the boys because my oldest was sick and the baby was having a horrible day and screeched and cried most of the day. So I was interrupted the entire day. I was able to get all but 40 cookies covered with icing before I had to make icing for my cake decoration class that night. I was able to get back from class and finish the cookies before 1am which was good.

Wednesday I was able to do the details on my cookies and let them dry. I sent the boys with their father to the mall for a solid hour so that I could get work done. My son was not getting better and he broke out in a rash on his body. I took him to the doctor to find out after quite a few tests that he had pneumonia. So we go his prescription and he went to bed. He was still coughing all day and all night, so we were both exhausted. I baked my friends wedding anniversary cake that night and it came out beautifully.

Thursday I spent the majority of the day icing the cake and covering it with fondant and making the roses. Once I finished the cake, I moved on to bagging the cookies. Because my son had a follow up appointment on Friday morning my cookies now became due on Thursday evening…talk about adding on the pressure. But somehow, I was able to deliver the cookies around 8:30pm and that was one large project down. My cake was now resting so that was project 2 down. Now I can finally get some rest. I celebrated my mad week and my baking accomplishments by opening up a small bottle of champagne with my dinner.

Friday TGIF!!!!! My son finally had some spunk in him. My cake was done, my cookies were gone and I was able to get some sleep. I ran a bunch of errands that morning and for the afternoon, I brought the boys to the aquarium. They had a great time. I met with some new friends to discuss potential business in the future, and also dropped of the anniversary cake. My clients loved the cake. I was so happy. They cut into the cake minutes after I left and called me immediately to let me know that it was delicious.

Today, Saturday, I brought the boys to story time at the bookstore and after lunch and naptime, we went to a birthday party of my son’s classmate. He had such a blast. He was happy and bouncing around with his school buddies. The baby had a good time too although he mainly stayed near me. I got them home, fed, bathed, and ready for bed. I ate dinner and then made a batch of promotional cookies (not for anyone in particular, but to get people to see what I can do and possibly order them). I will ice them at my leisure this week.

People say that God only gives you what you can handle, well I can apparently handle a whole lot of chaos, because this week was full of it. I will appreciate my week off of baking and relax…oh! I just remembered, I have my final exam in my cake class on Tuesday…darn! I have to bake another cake for class and make icing for the class. Oh well. I will tackle that on Sunday and let everything sit for Tuesday.

It’s 11:00 and I am going to go to bed. Tomorrow I will update my business blog to reflect my new goodies. I can’t wait to post them! Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment